Job Description - International Specialist on Assisted Reproduction (embryo transfer) (2002702) (fao.org)
Job Posting: 12/Feb/2021
Closure Date: 19/Feb/2021, 11:59:00 PM
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Primary Location: Home-Based
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan in partnership with the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan is currently implementing “Improvement of Cattle Production in Azerbaijan through Establishment of Effective Cattle Breeding and Feeding Systems” project under FAO-Azerbaijan Partnership Programme. The main purpose of the project is the improvement of cattle productivity through establishment of an appropriate breeding management and strengthened services for AI, and feeding systems. In the framework of the project, embryo breeding is planned to be implemented at the Scientific-Research Institute of Animal Husbandry under Output 1: Capacities of professional inseminators and embryo transfer operators improved.
Mr. Bariz Mehdiyev , Assistant to the FAO Representative
Under the overall supervision of the AFAOR,(Assistant to FAO Representative) the technical supervision of the Lead Technical Officer (LTO) and the technical guidance of the of FAO Animal Production and Health Division (NSA) and in close coordination with the FAPP Manager; in liaison with the government focal points, the National Project Coordinator (NPC), Junior Technical Officer (JTO) and the International and National Consultants, the international consultant on assisted reproduction will undertake the following:
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Make a detailed assessment of the available equipment and current procedures (Standard Operations Procedure – SOP) for donor cows, embryo production and transfer, handling, and storage of semen, ova and embryos at the government Embryo Transfer (ET) Centre in Goygol, Azerbaijan;
- Identify gaps and needs in SOPs and equipment and provide detailed recommendations;
- Develop informative leaflets on ET process for distribution among farmers, private companies, etc.;
- Assess the skills and theoretical knowledge of the staff working at the ET Centre and identify needs for further training;
- Conduct ToT for selected specialists of the ET Centre;
- Recommend a quality control system and SOPs for the embryo production and processing;
- Prepare a concise mission report and training reports incorporating the findings, recommendations and training needs;
- Undertake any other relevant assignment requested.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University Degree in veterinary medicine, animal science with emphasis on cattle reproduction, particularly embryo transfer or other relevant field of expertise;
- At least 10 years of professional experience in embryo transfer production, processing, handling and storage at a recognized laboratory and/or breeding organization; At least five years of experience in training ET procedures, theoretical and practical knowledge being part of the 10 years of professional experience;
- Working knowledge of English.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Detailed assessment on embryo transfer procedures
- Development of leaflet on ET
- Inputs for the development of training materials
- Trainings for selected specialists, theoretical and practical
- Recommendations for quality control systems and SOPs
- Timely delivery of the relevant reports
- Monthly reports describing implementation status of above tasks
- Experience with working in a participatory manner and in different working environments;
- Familiarity with laboratory certification and safety regulations;
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and use of Internet is required;
- Completes tasks in a timely, cost-effective way and/or escalated properly
- Female specialists are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational
institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
If you are in possession of language certificate/s from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT), please attach the certificate/s when submitting the application.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: Careers@fao.org
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
Write a comment
ali shadmanesh (Saturday, 29 May 2021 08:08)
Dear Human Resources Manager
I humbly write to briefly explain about myself and the reason for which I request to collaborate with your institute. Since the completion of my master degree in animal sciences, my professional career has been framed in nutrition of cattle and camel. My first contribution to this topic was my thesis investigating the effect of different levels energy and protein on fattening efficiency of camel, collaborating in several research projects and teaching in Islamic Azad University. Moreover, I have a Ph.D. degree in Animal Reproductive Biotechnology in Veterinary Medicine at Shahrekord University. My Ph.D. course was spent in a center that was established by Professor Abolfazl Shirazi at Shahrekord University, focusing on the field of reproductive biotechnology in livestock called “Research institute of Animal Embryo Technology”. I found a very high interest in getting acquainted with this field. Therefore, I expanded my research skills in the field of reproductive biotechnology. These laboratory skills was preparation of bovine and ovine oocytes and sperm for in vitro embryo production (IVM, IVF, IVC, and ICSI), cell isolation, identification (using Immunocytochemistry and flow cytometry) and culture (somatic and stem cells), simple and differential staining for evaluation
of oocyte maturation and embryo quality in blastocyst stage, respectively. Gaining experience in this field continued with ovine and bovine sperm, oocyte, and embryo freezing using vitrification method. My Ph.D. is more than just a certificate. For me, it represents dedicated work, technical and personal enrichment. I worked with different teams which ignited in me a passion and curiosity for science. Moreover in personal aspects, I have strengthened and renewed my inner values (motivation, enthusiasm, positivity, leadership, professionalism and both individual and team work). To work and collaborate with great researchers has influenced on me, leading to eagerness to learn, organization, initiative, and flexibility. It has made me sociable, outgoing and I have developed a high capacity for adaptation to diverse situations. I am able to work under great pressure and I enjoy staying updated on work entrusted to me. I think that I will be useful for your institute for the job position of producing experimental embryos and research in this field. Therefore, I am eager to collaborate with your institute.
Amit (Thursday, 02 March 2023 16:46)